Friday, October 05, 2007

#20. Two Hundred Grandchildren!

Recently, a friend related to me about a married couple who have 200 grand-children. WOW!

So if you do the math -- well, I blew the dust from my slide rule and calculated that if the couple had 14 children and each of the 14 children had given birth to 14 children, the couple would have a total of 196 grandchildren.

Now, if the couple had a whopping 18 children, each of them would merely have to average 11 children to arrive at 198 grandchildren. However, if the couple had only 12 children (LOL), each of them would have to average 17 in order to arrive at 204 grandchildren. All I can say is: "Thank God the couple didn't have only 7. Each would have to average 29 youngsters!

What do you think of this? Can you imagine birthday celebrations? or Christmas time? or any holiday reunion with the clan? I can hear it now -- Grandma asking all kinds of questions.

"Now ... what did you say your name is?" "Tell me again -- who do you belong to?" "No honey, I would never-ever forget you!" "What! You're pregnant again?"

Personally, I have totally given up on having any children of my own -- now I'm working on some grandchildren! Do you know of anyone with 200 grandkids? OK, anyone with 100? Give it your best shot!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Savvy said...

Well, I don't know this family personally, I do remember reading about them and I can top the 200 grandchildren! Can you ever imagine having over 1000 grandchildren? There's an old saying... "BUSY PEOPLE ARE HAPPY PEOPLE" LOL. I remember this story about this family as I was growing-up, so I searched for this story on the internet and finally found it.

Golley, was she blessed huh????

Grandmother Sophie was born in 1900 and was found living in her parents household in 1900, 1910 and 1920. Sometime between 1920 and 1925 she met an married William R. Douglas AKA Willie Thomas. Willie was of the very large Douglas and Clemons families of Anson, Richmond and Scotland counties NC. His Douglas grandmother (Mourning Meachum-Douglas) had nineteen children, almost two hundred grandchildren and well over a thousand great grandchildren at the time of her death. She died shortly after 1920, living to be almost 100 years of age.

10:44 AM, October 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't say I know of anyone with such a large clan. But, I bet the holidays and family get togethers are something to be desired. Can you imagine all the cooking? What they would caosider a side dish to pass would most likely fill a bath tub! They could probably rent a hall, how else could you seat all of them! where would you park their cars? And I can't even imagine trying to remember all of their names, hell, I have three children and I can't remember the year they were born! A nd how about the comment above mine! Over a thousand grandhildren! Yiekks!!!!
There must be a lot of sagging bellies and boobs going on there!

What a think piece! Did you thik this up all by yourself? Did ya?
I'm really enjoying reading all of them.

9:18 PM, October 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not even begin to imagine all those kids in one family.
They must be Catholic's

7:37 PM, October 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't picture in my mind such a huge family! I know of no one with such a large family. (Bless thier hearts)But I bet that they share a lot of love between them, and I bet they are really a close family.

3:45 PM, October 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came fom a large family. Although it was not 200, but 72 grandkids in all.
I can rmember our Thanksgiving dinner at grandmas walking in the kitchen and seeing a lot of pots of boiling water and plastic bags bobbing up and down. It was like Thanksgiving day on the Starship Enterprise!
I'm at the age now where all of my friends are having kids and they all say the same thing. "You should have kids, it's such a joy"
After being around a large family,I'd think twice, besides, I have come to the conclusion that something that grows inside of you comes ripping out of your favorite orifice, and then eat off your body, That's Not Joy, That's A Parasite!

4:33 PM, October 18, 2007  
Blogger Virgil said...

Mercyme,
You certainly have a vivid imagination, don't you? Thanks for sharing your comments. I'm surprised that more people did not respond. Maybe they didn't know what to make of it, or even believe it.

What do you mean, did I think this up all by myself? My brain comes up with all sorts of bizarre stuff that inquiring minds want to know about.

4:28 PM, November 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

4:02 PM, February 02, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

#20. Two Hundred Grandchildren!