Friday, June 12, 2009

#33. How'd You Get Into My House?

Today, when I answered the phone, a female voice spoke ... with great urgency. It was a recorded message pertaining to "my" credit card debt. She said my debt could be substantially reduced if I acted immediately by pressing the #1. So I did! After so many of these telemarketer experiences, I wanted to see what would happen.

A real man came on the line, insisting to know how much money I owed. Angrily, I told him, "The lady has all that information, so why are you asking me?" He told me he knew nothing of her. "How did she connect me to you if you don't know her," I asked, "Doesn't she work for your company?" He claimed ignorance!

I told him he should get to know her, that she lives in a machine, and knows even more than I do about my financial circumstances. Surprisingly, he remained on the line with me for several minutes. Finally, I complained about her invading my home and, suddenly -- click! He was gone!

How do you contend with these home invasions? Tell me about such humerous phone conversations wherein you took the telemarketer for a ride. Be gentle now . . .

4 Comments:

Anonymous M.S said...

Hi Reverend Brewer,
I USED TO GET ON THE PHONE WITH THE TELEMARKETERS A LOT AND HAVE FUN WITH THEM, BUT MY MOM DIDN'T APPRECIATE IT MUCH. SO HEERE IS ONE I USED TO SAY.
"Good day my child, you have reached "Dial A Confession" at the tone, if you leave your name, number and a short confession, I will get back to you with your Penance.
Thamk You and may GOD go with you.

3:21 PM, June 22, 2009  
Anonymous Tamarha said...

Now that I think about it, between 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 pm it is phone invasion time when we are at the dinner table, and believe me without fail these telemarketers are pushy, no manners, and they don't give a damn about dissrupting our dinner. So, I have a taped voice mail that I put on every day and lately it seems to be working, so here is my voice message:
"Hi, the answering machine is broken. This is the refrigerator,
please speak very slowley and I'll stick your message to myself with one of these magnets."

7:23 AM, June 26, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I at one time had a in house phone, and like clock work my home was invaded by telemarketers especailly around dinner time... they love to bug you when your eating. So I would answere my phone in this way. "Hi, now you say something" then I would put the phone down and finish my dinner.

5:31 PM, June 26, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Years ago, telemarketers would phone me just about everyday. When our small son would hear the phone, listen to mom being very brief & hang up, he'd ask who it was. I told him it was "Michael" again, since the telemarketer identified himself as "Michael".
Since our little one only got an occasional call from Gramma or one of his Aunts, he thought I was "lucky" to get to talk on the phone everyday to friends and "Michael". Well I thought I could give him a treat!!! I'd let him talk to "Michael"! Sure enough, "Michael" called our home again. That day I expressed my joy that he would be so kind as to call me again. I very politely said I had no desire to speak with him but luckily I had a family member who couldn't wait to talk! "Michael seemed really happy about that & thought he'd finally get the result he wated...someone to buy into what ever he was selling...without further hesitation, I put our very articulate 3 year old on the phone with "Michael" Our son chatted it up then the talking stopped.
After he hung up he agreed "Michael" was not fun to talk to. We never heard from him again!

9:48 AM, August 08, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

#33. How'd You Get Into My House?