Friday, July 31, 2009

#35. The Three Faces of God

Question: Can you explain the Trinity – you know, one God-in-three-persons?
Answer: I believe it, but I don’t understand it. It’s simply a mystery to me.

No matter how many Christians I have asked this question – be they a Theologian, a pastor, or a layperson – the answer is always the same.

However, I recently discovered an author who has provided his answer in a spiritual novel called: "The Shack". This book has sold over 4 million copies by word of mouth. It’s an excellent read and I highly recommend it to anyone seeking for a more whole- some understanding of God. But even more -- it’s a loving, caring “three-Gods-in-one” classic that you won’t be able to put down.

His Trinitarian concept of God includes the following:
  1. a large, beaming African-American woman called “Papa”
  2. a colorful, flighty Asian female named "Sarayu", and
  3. Jesus plays himself – well, sort of . . .
This summer, our church is currently discussing this book and it is a blast!!! Have you already read it? How does it speak to you? I’d love to hear your comments. If you haven’t read it, why not? Blessings!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger The Gratitude Guru said...

Greetings!

Is it a coincidence that I just started to read this last night? I think not! In any case, I have not yet come across the discussion on "three-Gods-in-one" yet, and I look forward to it! This has always been a puzzle to me.

Thanks
Be Well.
Paul.
www.AllAboutGratitude.com

8:05 AM, August 04, 2009  
Blogger Savvy said...

I don't know what the answer would be...in all honesty I see the trinity as one, "The Father, The Son and The Spirit". And after reading "The Shack" numerous times, a wonderful read, I realize to how much the book expresses love, but is this love found only in God? It was only by the Grace of God that I have began to comprehend any Gods love. I also believe that to truly know Gods love you must know who God is. In the book of John tells us that "God is love and the more you know The God of Scriptures the more you will Godly love and be able to love others". I currently am attending a study group at Unity Chapel about "The Shack", and we have wonderful discussions regarding this book, and in these dicussions I have come to realize and have learned that reading "The Shack" has touched my life because it deals with God in the midst of pain in an honest way cause for me this is the first time I have seen the divine truth work outside a relationship with God himself.

1:10 PM, August 07, 2009  
Blogger Adam Pastor said...

Greetings Virgil Brewer

On the subject of the Trinity,
I recommend this video:
The Human Jesus


Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you to reconsider "The Trinity"

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor

12:05 PM, August 08, 2009  
Blogger Virgil said...

Adam Pastor,
Thanks and I shall check it out. But I would invite you to make a comment here about the subject, either the traditional Trinitarian concept or about the book, The Shack. Blessings

4:29 PM, August 08, 2009  
Blogger meadowlark said...

I haven't read this book yet. I will try to pick it up next week. I will let you know what I think of it.

11:51 PM, August 15, 2009  
Blogger marty said...

Could someone please clarify whether this book is written by Roger Olsen or William Young? I want to get the right book. Thanks!
Martha

6:05 PM, May 06, 2010  
Blogger Virgil said...

Hi Martha,
The author is William Young. Our church is having another study of the book beginning on Wednesday, June 16 at 7:30. We shall explore portions of the book not covered last summer. Let me know what you think of the book. Virgil

6:16 PM, May 06, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

#35. The Three Faces of God